For a printable PDF version of Job Description click here.
Gashland Presbyterian Church
Director of Children’s Ministries
Purpose: To equip families in the raising of their children with the knowledge of God’s Word and love, to nurture children within our church body and to reach out into the community. To implement creative events that help children grow spiritually, emotionally, and relationally to other children and adults.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Accountable for: Nursery staff (paid and volunteer), all of Children’s Ministries volunteers
- Curriculum selection, volunteer recruitment, training supply coordination and volunteer care and support for the Sunday School program.
- Provide regularly scheduled meetings for training, encouragement and solicitation of volunteers.
- Curriculum selection, volunteer recruitment, training and support for Wednesday Night Children’s program.
- Advise in the use of program materials, room scheduling, equipment, and supplies by children’s groups in church events. Responsible for setup of all Children’s Ministries Activities. Make budget recommendations for all children’s ministry line items. Responsible for organization and supplies used in Children’s Ministry.
- Curriculum selection, volunteer recruitment, training and support for Children’s Church during the hours of Sunday worship.
- Plan and coordinate all Children’s Ministry special events.
- Coordinate, supervise, recruit, direct (or delegate director position) and choose curriculum for special children projects, activities and programs (ex. VBS, Trunk or Treat, Easter Egg Hunt).
- Serve as a permanent member of the Discipleship Team, representing the children, bringing their needs and concerns to the team. Working alongside the Discipleship Team and the Senior Pastor, determine short-term and long-term goals for the church’s children’s ministry.
- Mentor and develop other potential leaders to serve as ministry heads for various aspects of children’s ministry.
- Participation in weekly staff meetings.
20-25 Per Week
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years children’s ministry experience desired.
- Supportive of other church staff and volunteers.
- Committed to vision, values, and beliefs of the church.
- Demonstrates evidence of a Christ-like attitude in words and actions.
- Self-starting—able to work independently.
- Team-oriented—able to work with a large team of volunteers.
- Has a heart and passion for children.
- Loves children and demonstrates patience in dealing with them.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to work with a wide variety of “constituents”: pastoral staff, volunteer workers, parents and grandparents, children.
- Complies with a background check.
- Has a burning desire to share the life of Jesus with children and see them begin and grow in Christian faith.